How to Extract Audio from Video for Free

One handy utility that everyone needs nowadays is a software program that can extract audio, sound, or background music from home movies, YouTube videos, or any other video file. In this article, I’m going to give step-by-step instructions on how to use a free online tool and a free program called AoA Audio Extractor.

If your audio extraction needs are simple and your video isn’t huge, an online tool will suit you just fine without having to install any software. If you need more features then AoA Audio Extractor is a nifty little application that can extract audio from AVI, MPEG, MPG, FLV, DAT, WMV, MOV, MP4, or 3GP files and save them into MP3, WAV or AC3 format.

Online Audio Extractor

The tool I use most often for extracting audio from video files is Audio-Extractor.net. It’s super simple to use and isn’t one of those sites filled with ads and popups and all kinds of other junk.

audio extractor

Click the Open video button and pick your file which can be in AVI, FLV, MP4, MPG, MOV, RM, 3GP, WMV, VOB format. It even supports more video formats than that, but those are the most common. For the output audio format, you can choose from MP3, WAV, iPhone ringtone, M4A, FLAC, OGG, MP2 or AMR. Click on Extract audio and after a little bit, you’ll be able to download your audio file instantly for free.

Go ahead and give the site a try first and if it can’t do what you need it to do, then keep reading.

AoA Audio Extractor

Firstly, when downloading AoA Audio Extractor, make sure you click on the Free version on the right, not the trial version of Extractor Platinum. If you scroll down the page, you’ll also see the differences between the free and paid versions.

This program is extremely simply to use and has the ability to drag and drop files right onto the interface. AoA Audio Extractor also includes a media player, so you can preview the video files from the program itself, saving you the hassle of making sure its the right video by playing it in Windows Media Player, etc. It also allows you to control the audio bit rate, audio sample rate and the channel type (mono or stero) for the output file.

However, one of the nicest features of the program that I really thought was quite useful is the ability to extract audio from only a portion of the video clip, instead of the entire file. This is a very basic editing feature, but it’s really helpful because you don’t have to download any sound editing software if you want only some parts of the audio.

To get started using AoA Audio Extractor, download and install the program. Open the program and click the Add Files button to select the video files. You can add more files if you want and they will be processed in a batch.

The videos will show up in the main window along with basic information such as the Start, End, Source Format, and Output Format. You can change the output format under the Output Options section below the main list. Select a video and click on Movie Clip if you want to extract audio from a specific time segment in the video. Before clicking Start, click on Browse and choose the location for the output MP3 file.

Now, go ahead and click Start and the extraction process will begin. The program is pretty fast, it took only 1 minute to extract audio from a 19 minute video clip.

You should now see your audio file at the location specified! I checked the sound quality between the video and the audio file and they were exactly the same, so you’re not going to lose any quality in the extraction process.

And that’s it! If you have a video in a special format and neither of the options above are working, post a comment and we’ll try to help. Enjoy!

usb format.PNG

OTT Explains – What File Format is Best for USB Drives?

Send and Receive Files from a Bluetooth Device to your PC

Cell Phone Hacks – How to Hack Your Cell Phone (Samsung, LG, etc)

extract-audio-from-video.png

How to Extract Audio from Video for Free

Popular Posts This Month

How to Fix Svchost.exe High CPU Usage

How to Find the Name or Title of a Song by Lyrics

free codecs

How to Fix Window Media Player "Cannot Play This DVD" Error Message

move folder target

How to Move or Change the Location of My Documents Folder

1. Jonathan says:

I installed and tried to use the AOA audio extractor, but when I tried to add file (.wmv) it came up with a debugger error.

Any ideas

2. melissa says:

I used it to extract sound from my AVI file.. and the results sounded like there were aliens attacking in addition to the regular sound. Anyone else get similar problems with sound quality being bad?? Not really a warped sound, just the addition of funny noises that weren't there in the video!

3. Chris says:

It works for FLVs I got from Youtube, but not for other FLVs.

4. yeahyeahs says:

Does AoAwork on large files? I tried it on an 850 MB file but the program stopped working.

5. Me says:

The AoA extractor fails. I tried extracting audio from my mpg files and it says the clip is only 1 second long. The movie is over 2 hours.

6. matt says:

Just installed this and it works great so far. It extracts audio from files that other programs that I actually purchased could not.. wish I would have found this sooner.

7. dVizNana says:

This is what I have been looking for. In one step it extracts an MP3 file at 192kps from FLV files.

8. Sunny says:

Worked like a charm!!! Thanks so much for the great info!

9. YuppieScum says:

This tool does not *extract* the original audio stream from the file – what it does is create a new audio file of a user-selected type from the audio stream.

10. rewd says:

This has worked great for me, never a problem … until now. I have one YT download that, when I go to extract, it initializes then crashes with a windows "AoA has encountered a problem and needs to close". I've tried this as a single (crashes), #1 in a list (crashes) and in other positions in a list (everything works fine until it gets to this one file and then … it crashes).

lil help maybe?

11. RanTen says:

Thanks a ton mate – worked beautifully.

I wanted to extract an audio track from a .mov file. I usually use AUDACITY – but sadly it failed me this time.

First I tried recording it directly into AUDACITY – quality was terrible, lots of bass – which wasn’t there in the file. Next I tried importing the same into AUDACITY – the quality was utter gibberish – pitch and tempo were way off track.

Then I found you and your link to AoA Audio Extractor.

Thanks once again mate – you saved the day.

12. Samir says:

Those of you who are experiencing problems extracting audio from FLV (Flash) video files might try using FLV Extract from moitah.net. Good luck!

13. Big Al says:

Well, you say you're got a free converter, so I download it, install it, initiate it & it tells me I've got to come back online and buy it before I can use it. That's what I'd call bait & switch. I'm just lucky I know how to remove software. If you truly do have a free version, I'd like a copy.

14. Trace says:

Hi Big Al, I think you probably downloaded the wrong version. AOA have a number of versions you can purchase and a free downloadable version. Visit http://www.aoamedia.com/audioextractor.htm and select download from the right-hand side.

15. Trace says:

Like Jess, Dave and Kiran the AOA extractor produces only a file name with a 0 byte file. I'm trying to convert .mov to .mp3. Can anyone help us?

16. Tom says:

This worked perfectly and executed extremely fast. Thank you. Big Al, I am not sure what happened with your download, but I was able to download the free version. Even though it does say it only supports 3 output file versions, I was able extract the audio from a .MOV to a .WAV file.

Trace, the .mp3 was available to choose from on the free version if you are trying to extract the audio from the .MOV.

17. Ashlee says:

Okay, so it works perfectly fine. But is there a way to improve the sound quality? Also, it is only copying half of what I want it to copy. What do I do?

18. Max McMax says:

Shame there's no OS X compatible version!

19. Patrick Jaki says:

It works well but truncates the music time. I tried to use the slider to get the full length of the music but it cuts the time into half. I have failed to correct the problem.

20. Issac says:

"Can anyone recommend a tool that will do a proper *extraction* – that is, create a file that contains the original unchanged/uncompressed/unconverted audio in the format the original audio stream was in?"

Try the Pazera Free Audio Extractor. Under Output Settings, select the "Try extract original audio stream" option.

21. Mpampis says: